Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dances With Wolves (1990)







Release Date: November 21, 1990

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Western


My Rating:  starstarstarhalf
(Click here for more info on my rating scale)



Overall, I feel that Dances With Wolves is more of a moral message experience than entertainment.  It's not something I'd want to watch more than once, but it's a good movie all the same, definitely worth watching.




I saw Dances With Wolves for the first time sometime within the last several months.  It wasn't as great or memorable as I hoped it would be, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

As the story starts off, we are introduced to Lieutenant John Dunbar, who does something stupid during a Civil War battle and inadvertendly leads the Union troops to a victory.  As a reward, he is given a post at the western frontier.  Upon arriving, he finds the post deserted.  Soon however, he starts to befriend a curious local indian tribe.  Gradually, over time earns the trust and respect of these people, and eventually becomes one of them.  Along the way, he also falls in love with Stands With A Fist, a white girl raised by the tribe.  Also, along the way, he even receives a tribal name, "Dances With Wolves."

It's a simple story.  It's that old man-befriends-natives-and-turns-against-his-own-people type of story.  There's no originality in it whatsoever, and it's almost completely predictable.  However, it is very well-told, with soul and emotion.  The movie follows Dunbar and allows the viewer to feel his emotions and experiences as he gradually falls in love with the tribe and the land.  In terms of the script, and other aspects, the movie is pretty good.  The dialogue is pretty good, and the story is well-paced.  Performances by Costner and everyone else are good as well, and the actors really bring out their characters.  John Barry also composed a great score for the film, which also helped bring out the emotion, mood, and tone of the film.

I do have a few criticisms of the film.  My first criticism concerns Mary McDonnel.  She was effective as Stands With A Fist, and her performance was good, but there's something about her that took away slightly from my liking for her character.  I didn't think she was quite right for her role.  Also, I should have had more emotional attachment to her (not that I didn't, but I did feel that it lacked a bit).  My second criticism concerns the length of the film.  I can see what Costner was trying to do in terms of storytelling, emotion, length of scenes, and all that, but, in my opinion, the film was too long.  I have to admit, I liked the film, but I did get bored in some areas.  Also, while the character development is solid, I think the story should have gone more into character complexity.  The story itself had more potential too.  There's hardly any plot at all, but it's enjoyable, but nonetheless, if the movie did have more of a real plot it could have been a lot better.  Next, I didn't really feel much tension/worry for the inevitable fight with the American military coming up at the end.  I really did need to feel much more of that.  Next, they actually show Dunbar and Stands having sex.  It wasn't explicit or anything, but that scene was a bit unnecessary.  Also, while the movie is pretty good, it only has a few memorable aspects about it.  It needed more.

Overall, I feel that Dances With Wolves is more of a moral message experience than entertainment.  It's not something I'd want to watch more than once, but it's a good movie all the same, definitely worth watching.  But it did have a lot more potential.




Cast and Credits:
Lt. John Dunbar: Kevin Costner
Stands With A Fist: Mary McDonnell
Kicking Bird: Graham Greene
Wind In His Hair: Rodney A. Grant
Ten Bears: Floyd Red Crow
Black Shawl: Tantoo Cardinal
Christine: Annie Costner

Orion Pictures presents
A film directed by Kevin Costner
Screenplay by Michael Blake
Music by John Barry
Running Time: 181 minutes

Rated PG-13 for some intense Western violence, language, thematic elements, brief sexuality and nudity

1 comment: